While Garden city Casino prides itself on being a San Jose tradition since 1946, new management has invested heavily in modernizing the intimate, mountain chalet-style, 40 table casino. The result is a stylish, action-packed gaming destination in the heart of the bay area.
The Garden City Casino has 12,000 square feet of gaming space, with 40 tables. Food service is available and breakfast is served 24-hours in the casino. The Garden City Casino is a non-smoking facility with parking available for 1,000 cars.
The City of San Jose was founded in 1777 and is one of the oldest cities in the United States. Gambling came to the West and California long before the gold rush in 1849. By the turn of the last century, all but games of skill were outlawed in the state. Games of skill were allowed by local option and by the 1940s San Jose had begun the process of licensing everything from billiard parlors to pin ball machines, as well as card rooms. Santa Clara County was known throughout the world as a cornucopia of agriculture and had gained the reputation as the Valley of Hearts Delight, with San Jose referred to as the Garden City.
The origins of The Garden City Casino and Restaurant of today were initially that of a billiard hall located on South Market Street. In 1946, it was purchased by the three Dalis brothers, Nick, Chris and Louis and relocated to the corner of South Market at Post Street in what had been one of the many Levi-Strauss and Company manufacturing buildings located in the downtown San Jose area. By the early 1950s, the Dalis brothers were able to secure one of the 15 original card room licenses issued by the City, eventually phasing out and disposing of the billiard interests. Included in the new Market and Post Streets location was a café and package liquor store. The business became an instant success. The Dalis brothers remodeled in the mid-50s and the café evolved into The Garden City Hofbrau, an innovative concept in the downtown area that featured a buffet-style self service with two revolving window displays of freshly cooked meats that were cut to order. The 10-table cardroom had a private entrance on the Post Street side.